The Benefits of Riding a Bicycle: 7 Best Tips For Bicycle Rider
People around the globe think that body exercise can be done through physical workouts like aerobics and many others. What they don’t understand is, bicycle riding is one of the best forms of performing body exercise. If you want to look younger, healthier and stunning all the time you should try riding a bicycle every time you are free. Even so, there are a whole lot of other benefits apart from health benefits that come with bicycle riding. Let’s take a look at some of them.
1. Improved brainpower
It goes without saying that general exercise means more brainpower. Bicycle riding, being one of the physical exercises a human being can conduct improves brain functions in immense proportions. A study conducted in 2007 by Charles Hillman corroborates this. The study revealed that exercise by bicycle riding reduces chances of the elderly getting Alzheimer’s colossally. Additionally, kid’s brain brainpower is improved autonomously through bike riding.
2. It fosters recovery
Do you have constant pain on your knees? Well, cycling might just be the solution you need. Knee pains are mostly common in elderly people. Even so, the younger generation often fall victim of knee pains due to many factors like accidents or other health issues. Cycling has been proven to foster recovery by alleviating pain. You will be astonished by the marvels of bicycle riding, even if it’s just for a few minutes in a day.
3. Improved heart health
Lifestyle diseases are rampant in this time and age, with most of them like high blood pressure affecting the heart enormously. That said, one of the known scientific remedies for dealing with such conditions is bicycle riding. Whether, you are passionate about riding or just doing it for the sake of your health, you are guaranteed of an improved heart health. You will be surprised at how your blood pressure will swiftly come back to normal. If you are active in bicycle riding daily, you can be sure to be 31% less likely to have a high blood pressure.
4. Improved physical health
You don’t have to go to the gym to be physically fit. Recent studies found that cycling improves general body health. By cycling, you will not only enjoy the perks that come with it like the serene atmosphere and fresh air, you will also benefit massively intellectually apart from being fit. You won’t need supplements to cut down on your pot belly or look fit, all you need is a steady routine of bicycle riding and you are good to go.
5. Reduced body fat
Nobody loves body fat! Even though it’s common in the society today for people to have lots of body fat, the idea of cutting down on the toxic body fat spells havoc to most people. It’s worth repeating that one of the biggest benefits of riding a bicycle on a regular basis is reduced body fat. More often, media outlets and supplement companies are quick to promote diet as the only way to shed excessive body fat. That is not quite wrong. However, science proves that bicycle riding is quite efficient. So, why not enjoy the beauty of nature as you cut down on the excess fat?
6. Lower risk of getting cancer
Yes, you read it well. Bicycle riding increases the rate of your heartbeat. The increased heart rate intensifies the rate at which blood is being pumped around your body and thus more calories are burned. All these are sequences of reducing excessive body weight which is a recipe for developing cancer. So, as you ride your bike on a regular basis, know that you are cutting down by half the chances of getting cancer.
7. Improved self-esteem
Cycling, just like other forms of general exercise, has been scientifically proven to foster self-esteem. It’s no surprise that once you finish your bicycle riding, you feel like taking over the world I anything. This is self-esteemed. With regular bike riding, you will constantly feel this way with your self-esteem improved immensely. Who would want to take the world with high spirits? The next time you go out on a ride, take a selfie and feel the moment as your self-esteem is boosted.
These and many other benefits come with regularly riding a bicycle. Even so, in order to fully enjoy these benefits, it’s of utter importance that you consider the following safety tips;
- Always put on a helmet: When it comes to bike related deaths, 85% are caused by head injuries. More often, laws in many countries and states gather for children and teens. However, statistics show that most bike related deaths are for people over the age of 18.
- Be visible: Ensure you wear bright clothes when you take your bicycle out for a ride. If possible, put on reflector clothes so as you can be more visible to motorists. Additionally, ensure to use your bicycle rear lights and headlights.
- Choose your riding time cautiously: When it comes to choosing the perfect time for bicycle riding, it’s important to keep in mind the route you are going to take. If you are going to use major roads with other motorists, avoid early mornings and late afternoons due to heavy traffic. This greatly reduces the chances of an accident. Needless to say, avoid bicycle riding during the rains due to bad visibility.
- Obey traffic rules: Just as vehicles, bicycles must likewise obey stipulated traffic rules. Simple traffic rules like riding in the same direction as other vehicles and bicycles, use of indicators or hand signals before turning and obeying the traffic lights, go a long way in ensuring your safety.
Other safety tips to consider while riding your bicycle include watching for debris on the road, watching for open car doors and wearing protective gear (gloves, shoes and helmet) among others. You should also avoid riding on sidewalks or riding when you are drunk, for the same reason that you wouldn’t want to drink and drive. With all these pointers considered, be sure that you will enjoy the above benefits of riding a bicycle.